78rpm Shops in UK
A list of record shops, antique shops and junk shops in UK which sell 78rpm records and /or re-issued recordings on CD/LP
this page first published by John Wright, 3 May 1997
last update 19 February firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail John Wright if you know a good shop to add to this list
- The Diskery, 99-102 Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham B5 6QB
This is my favourite shop. Their speciality is jazz and swing music, prices are very reasonable. There's a few boxes of 78's, all types, always something new. Great selection of vintage music on LP's released during the last 30 years.
- NEW ADDITION
Ben's Collectors Records 5 Tunsgate, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3QT
Tel: 01483 301165 E-Mail: email@example.com
Check out the website http://www.bensrecords.com
- Greg's Greats 79 High Street, Foxton, CAMBS. CB2 6RP
There is over 90,000 78's available now in ALL music genres from Dance Bands, Jazz, Blues, Vocals,
Rock and Roll, Skiffle, Comedy etc etc. Anyone wishing to come and browse should call me on 01223 872 937 or,
- THE SOUNDBOX - proprietor Ian Maxted
10 High Street, Hampton Hill, Middlesex TW12 1PD
Ian opens on Saturdays only at the moment. He has a good range of gramophones, some phonogrpahs, and several thousand 78s, mainly jazz and dance.
- Bob Chambers, Hayes, Middlesex, UK writes
The Music Nostalgia Corner at A & C Antiques & Collectibles, 266
Uxbridge Road, Hatch End, Pinner, Middlesex have a selection of 78rpm
records from the late 1920s to early 1950s, prices from 75p to £3.00,
depending on wear. Also, old sheet music, published from about 1920 to
1970s, prices from £1 to £8.00 depending on rarity.
Also a range of nostalgia CDs, again mainly from the late 1920s to early 1950s, all digitally remastered from 78's with fine sound quality. Contact Bob Chambers
- Riverside Two, (antiques) The Maltings, Sawbridgeworth Herts CM21 9JX now have a good selection of 78s, mainly 30s/40s All in alphabetical order by artist. Most are in good condition Prices range from £1 to £5 dependant on rarity and condition.They also have a good range of Gramophone ephemera and some gramophones. Contact 01279 600985.
(thanks to Geoff Cole)
- Harold Moores Records, 2 Great Marlborough Street, London W1, has a nice collection of 78s for sale, as well as a stock
of over 50,000 33-1/3 vinyls. A great place to visit and incredibly knowledgeable staff. Web site is at http:www.hmrecords.co.uk though the 78s are not sold on the web site. Email Mr.
Moores on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stan Jenkins writes: "probably around 500 or so 78s of all sorts at 50p a go, and thousands of LPs etc. can be found at shop run by Peter and Lois Fogden :
"Scene and Heard", 49 Teign Street, TEIGNMOUTH, Devon TQ14 8EA Telephone 01626 776400
- Beehive Antiques and Records, Muggerage Farm, Battlesbridge, Essex.
Geoff Cole writes: "They have several boxes of 78s as well as many thousands of LPs. Many 78's are pre 1940 and in reasonable condition. He buys them in all the time. Normally open Saturday and Sunday in the Battlesbridge Antiques centre. Usual cost per record £1 and usually knocks a bit off if you buy more that 10".
email is: beehiverecords @aol.com
- Nigel Teague is proprietor of: COLLECTORS RECORDS CENTRE, 89F WOODBRIDGE RD., GUILDFORD, SURREY GU14QD, UK
Established 20 years. Always a large crate of 1950s 78s in stock,
plus a few hundred thousand 45s!
for information e-mail COLLECTORS RECORDS CENTRE or TEL.01483 568100.
- Chris Baker Gramophones specialises in gramophones/phonographs and to a lesser extent, 78 records and phonograph cylinders. Also a repair service.
Address: Chris Baker Gramophones, All Our Yesterdays, 3 Cattle Market, Sandwich, Kent, CT13 9AE. Tel: 01304-614756.
- Archive Records. Steve Clarke has 78's at his record shop at:
ARCHIVE RECORDS, 196 STATION ROAD, ADDLESTONE, SURREY KT15 2PD
- Mole Jazz have moved and are now at Mole Jazz Upstairs at Harold Moore's, 2 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7HQ. tel. 0207 437 8800
Five minutes from Oxford Circus or Tottenham Court Road Tube Stations.
Visit the Molejazz website.
Mole jazz do not always have 78's for sale but check out their LP and CD stock featauring the classic stuff.
- Firebird Records Basement Stalls, 290 Westbourne Grove, London W11.
Terence Brown writes:
Paul's stall operates every Saturday between 9.30 am and 3.30 pm. Mostly LP's from 50's &
60's, but also has a large stock of 78's, mostly dance, some personality and particularly Jazz
and Swing. Most recently has good stocks of Vocalian and Parlophone issues, many in e+
condition, Ellington, Armstrong, Billie Holliday etc. A bit pricey, but Paul is always willing to
consider a deal, and is friendly and knowledgeable.
- Chris McDonald has a shop in Chichester selling gramophones, boxes of 78's and offers a
repair service. Check out the website at chichestergramophones
or e-mail email@example.com
- Mike & June Child have a stall selling machines, spare parts & 78's on Portobello Road Market, London. Nearest Tube Ladbroke Grove.
Tony Langford writes: the stall is under the tent, by the Westway elevated motorway. Every Saturday 0900 -1700. They can be contacted by telephone on 01234-340829 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org and have a web page
Terence Brown writes: Good stocks of 78's, all types, usually changed weekly, mostly at a £1, more for scarce items.
Gramophones and Phonographs at competitive prices, springs, sound boxes, needles and
Gramophonalia. Also a repair and refurbishment service.
Contact Mike & June Cilhd at email@example.com or visit the web page
- Nooks & Crannies 60 High St., Ryde, Isle of Wight.
They have over 10,000 78's priced from 30p to 50p. A lot are of the Reg Dixon, Bing Crosby, Charlie Kunz, Vera Lynn variety.
Phone 01983 568984 for information. (Thanks to Simon Wratten for this information).
- Dinosaur Discs 35 Lower Street, Horning, Norwich, England
Visit the website first: http://www.78rpm.co.uk
- The Bizaar at Mickley Square, Stocksfield, Northumberland has closed, but owner still holds stock of over 78's of all types and music and also vinyl records.
Telephone 0771-285-4862 to ask about 78's.
- CAMERA CENTRE, 53 High Street, Hailsham, Sussex
Tel: 01323-840559, Fax: 01323-442295.
Proprietor Robert Girling firstname.lastname@example.org writes:
Whilst it is a traditional camera shop I do have several machines available at all times ranging from cylinder to portable and cabinet. From time to time, for those who want to play their records on something a little more up to date I have more modern items like Dansette and Hacker record players, radiograms and turntables. I can also organise the repair of wind-up machines and of course supply needles and some accessories.
I usually have several boxes of 78's available. Visit http://www.camcentre.co.uk
- Gramophone Emporium, 21 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3
Opening hours are Wednesday 2 - 5 and Saturday 11 - 5.
Tel: 01668 214185 (Int-44-1668-214185)
Their speciality is jazz and swing music, although they have a huge stock of about 20,000 78s comprising just about everything and every style of music from the early 1900s onwards.
They also have a wide range of LPs, which include jazz etc.
- GRAMEX 25 Lower Marsh, London, SE1 7RJ, near Waterloo station. Telephone 0171-401-3830.
A shop with oodles of records of all media, literally cylinders to CDs. Mostly towards the classical side, but other
genres as well. GRAMEX is operated by Roger Hewland, hours are 12:30 to 18:00 Tuesday to Saturday. E-mail
- The Talking Machine used to be a shop near Hendon Central Tube station, lots of gramophones, phonographs as well as cylinders.
David Smith is a major source via EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/sch/talkingmachineillminster/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
- John Sleep buys, sells, restores and repairs phonographs and gramophones, and also has several thousand 78 rpm records.
He's at 'Stoke', West Pentire, Crantock, Cornwall, TR8 5SE
Contact John Sleep or tel: 01637 830415.
- Jazzswing, 45/46 Loveday St., Birmingham, B4 6NR
Andrew Emmerson supplied an extensive list of UK gramophone/accessories suppliers/repaires, full list on the
Equipment Page. Those also stocking 78rpm records are:
- TALKING POINT ANTIQUES, 66 West Street, Sowerby Bridge, HX6 3AP
(01422-834126). Phonographs and gramophones, records, accessories, music
books, repairs and restorations.
- Please note: GRAMOPHONALIA, Woodford Green, is now closed.